Friday, January 10, 2014

Change of Scenery

So let's recap what has been happening with Rachael lately:

I signed up to be on staff for YWAM Honolulu in September 2013 and then I had this desire to do the School of Missions and Evangelism (SOME) and am getting to do that right now... so my team went to Philippines and Bali (Indonesia) and I got left behind because I didn't get my money in time (still technically don't have it haha) but it's good actually because in the back of my mind I was thinking, "I know God called me to Oahu..." and it just felt like He was kind of withholding the money, ya know? I got the money (like my last post talked about but SURPRISE, it still hasn't come in. Oh, insurance claims...) Anyways, after my team left, I decided that I really really wanted to be able to graduate the SOME and in order to do that I had to go on Outreach... so I talked to my school director and proposed the idea of working with Surfing the Nations (STN) on island. He said yes and the next day I took the bus up to Wahiawa and decided that I was going to talk them into letting me do my outreach here haha... I didn't have to do much "convincing" because an hour later, I was getting trained to work in their non-profit store called "The Vintage" and I moved up here that night. 

Anyways, what I will be doing here includes partnering with their ministries in Wahiawa such as Ulu Pono Kids Club, "Feed the Hungry" (which I did today... 580 people were given food), and Waianae Surf/Swim Club, I'll help with property maintenance, office stuff, planning and organizing events etc

I am SO stoked and loving being a part of so much on island. The thought that keeps circulating in my mind is, "Blessed to be a blessing." I have such a heart for the people here. It's so crazy how much God has been using me here. People think, "Oh you live in Hawaii, that's paradise..." but they don't see what I live with everyday: prostitution on almost every street, I live next to some of the biggest drug dealers in Hawaii, people immigrating from numerous Asian countries and then living in extreme poverty, a huge homeless population, a lot of domestic abuse, Hindus, Buddhists .........the list could go on and on. I just hope people can understand what Hawaii really is and how much they really need Jesus and HIs light and His love. It is so badly needed here and it's literally right outside my door.

After I graduate the SOME in March, I will most likely staff the next school in April and then the next school in September. I hope to get YWAM Honolulu more radically plugged into the community and get people excited about seeing their "mission field" as the person right in front of them. 

I'm so excited for this year! I got to start it out by watching the fireworks from out in the lineup on a longboard at Queens... I couldn't have asked for anything better. 

Joyfully His, 

Rachael Andersen

No comments:

Post a Comment